Mango Vanilla Cheesecake



I love cakes..i mean who doesn't? But what I love even more than cakes is Cheese cake!
I remember the exact hour I had my first Blueberry Cheesecake...It was on a Saturday, we had just finished work and had gone to this delightful lil cafe in Bangalore for an after shopping break...Oh...
I still remember the myriad sensations I felt as I savored that delicious piece of perfection!!
Yes, there is simply no other word for it.. It was and is total perfection.

What I had never imagined at that time is that one day I will be trying my hands at making it at home.. it seemed exotic, light and cool .... unlike the heavy and dense cakes which I absolutely abhor. 
Dont get me wrong. I am pretty much fearless in the kitchen.. I can take up any savoury dish without doubt and generally am quite good at it..but I have always shied away from baking ; esp from cakes and its cousins of all kinds! 

So you can imagine my chagrin when I decided or rather awarded myself with this challenge of a sort... 
To make a Cheesecake that the cake-manic husband of mine would simply be proud of!!
And so after gathering up all my courage and wits, here's what I got... and need I say I was a happy happy girl that day!!




Enjoy the recipe... 


Ingredients:

For the crust : 

For the Cream cheese filling : 

Here's the Game Plan : 

Method for the crust : 


For the Cream Cheese Filling:

This part of the cake is really versatile and you can swap the mango with just about any pulpy fruit you have on hand or even chocolate for a different cheescake... the sky is the limit when it comes to flavour once you get the basic of the cheese filling right..  try out new bold flavors and create your own cheesecake!
First off, remember you are making 2 layers for this particular cheesecake.. one of mango, the other vanilla... so accordingly to save up on time get 2 bowls ..and get started!!

Layer 1


 

In 4 tbsp hotwater let 1 tbsp gelatine bloom. Mix well till dissolved. 
Blend 1/2 cup mango pulp, 1/2 cup hung curd and 1/2 cup sugar into a smooth paste.
In a separate bowl whip 1/2cup cream till soft peaks form.
Mix the mango cream cheese mixture to this and fold till well mixed.
Now add the cooled gelatin. Fold and mix well.
Pour it into the springform. Refrigerate and let it set for 1 hour or till it is just set.


Layer 2


In 4 tbsp hot water let 1tbsp gelatine bloom. Mix well till dissolved. 
Slit open vanilla bean and in a knife smear the vanilla grains and add it to 1/2cup hung curd and 1/2 cup sugar and blend it in a mixer into a smooth paste.
In a separate bowl whip 1/2cup cream till soft peaks form. 
Mix the vanilla cream cheese mixture to this and fold till well mixed. 
Now add the cooled gelatin. Fold and mix well. Pour it into the springform.
 Refrigerate and let it set for 8 hours at least.

Some basics to note :

  • To make your own hung curd at home ( since we don't easily get the cream cheese used by our foreign counterparts in all parts of India) Hang almost double the amount( 500-600 ml)  of good quality curd tied up in a muslin cloth for the night..The next morning , when you open the kerchief..voila... you will have your deliciously creamy cream cheese at your service!!
  • Make sure the curd isn't at all sour..and Please use good quality full fat curd ..I cannot stress this enough!
  •  To make things more fun and fruity ( who doesn't love fruits?? ) you can add chopped bits of mango in the 1st layer itself like me. Or make a simple filling with the pulp.. the choice is yours but the result is yumm in both cases. 

  • Garnishing is the king when it comes to dessert..  Do not be afraid of it..  make it your pal.. your buddy and soon you will have a stunner piece to wow your man or kid or neighbor..or heck even your cat!!
Love.
S :)

Labels: ,