Sooji ka halwa.. The way my mum makes it!


 


“No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers.” - Laurie Collins.

My mother... she is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her. 
There is something about being a mother that is rather special . I would even go as far as to say its the most magical feeling..and if you have had a loving mom , then you can say that you have glimpsed heaven on Earth!Its moms who hold the families gently wrapped around their fingers...its mothers who are mostly the reason for our success... its moms who can just look at us and know whats in our hearts...  I know my mom does.

My oldest food memories are with my mom.. of my mom cooking a 5 item lunch daily (even today) and making breakfast for us before leaving for work by 9! This is a lady who has spent her considerable life giving in to our varied demands and tantrums and still managing her career exceptionally.. I don't know how she managed to balance everything so effortlessly..work, me and my siblings...my father who is another big foodie( I get my love for the good life and so many other traits from him) ..families, hobbies..but she did!!
And every evening she used to make some delicacy or the other for us.. I remember sitting on the kitchen counter, recounting the days story to her as she gave a quick tadka to dal, made some yumm paneer chillie.. doled out lachha paratha...made kheer for one, sewai for the other...fried  bread pakoras for dad...made dahi vadas without any occasion...meetha pulao with raisins ..and the most amazing chicken sukka till date.
I have always had an interest in cooking coz my mother had never said no.. don't bother me. I am cooking.. Or I will teach you later.. or worse still..I can't teach you!


I try to do the same with my baby..even though she is two and a half years old, she loves sitting at the kitchen counter and playing with utensils..copying my hand movements...and throwing masalas into her play kitchen and making curries! Another one bites the big foodie dust i tell u ;)

Like the memories of cooking and my mom, there is one dish that makes me nostalgic about my childhood... Its a simple and easy way to cap off a perfect meal..or serve it up as an instant pick me up for breakfast!




 
The humble Sooji ka halwa...  Full of old world charm and exquisiteness..

Some things are a tradition and should remain a tradition... like this wonderful sooji ka halwa... i make it just the way my mom taught me...and I will teach Dishu to make it exactly the same way.. 

The ease with which you can dish out this delectable bowl of halwa will make your head giddy and the people who eat it will be giddy from joy! Oh and did I tell you, your home will smell like a slice of heaven by the time you are done making this ?? Anyone up for additional joys of living? ;)


It requires only the most basic of ingredients... apart from a mother's love!

Ingredients: 

Method: 

Beware : Its definitely got ghee and is loaded with peanuts and raisins!
Serve hot as a dessert or for breakfast with poori chhole the recipe for which is right here and man were those chholes to die for!! 
http://lapetitchef.blogspot.in/2014/07/my-way-chhole-bhature.html

I owe everything to my mom, 
Love ,
S :)