Malai kofta..with the goodness of dry fuits!


"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook" declared my absolute favorite chef ever..the iconic Julia Child. 
Another one of my personal favorites is "If you're afraid of butter, use cream.”!!
Wasn't she the most adorable master chef ever?? !!
 And did my fave quotes give you a glimpse into who I am.. ?

It did?? Yay!!! You can now proceed to become Robert Langdon and solve century old mysteries coz after all you managed to decipher the mystery thats me!! ;)
Joking aside, I do love food..kind of obvious I guess since I am running a food blog or letting it run me!
I am not sure which yet. 
So much work... yet the only thing I can think of is what to make next for you and for me.
Given that I am doing a Rakshabandhan series right now, the dishes I am cooking are vegetarian but they are soo freaking out of this world yumm that you don't really miss the meat... and trust me coming from a total carnivore like me, thats saying a lot!!!

If it has to be veg, there are two dishes that make me swoon and fall into a crazy mellowy  stupor and think of slow dancing and star gazing and hand holding.... 
And no, even though my paneer butter masala is pretty kick ass, there is nothing better than Not your regular Paneer kalimirch and of course this Malai kofta dish!!

This particular malai kofta is simply amazing coz it is loaded with flavors... gently layered and simmered one into the other till they all form a perfectly melting creamy sweetish gravy that will take you to the moon and back..
whats special about this is the dry fruits and cherries that I stuff it with...
And whats special about the gravy... ?? Oh my my...that is one tough question.
Just check out the recipe and see for yourself how to make this silken creamy delight... 
Its made extraordinary by swirling cream as garnish..and adding more chopped dry fruits and cherries...sprinkling some grated cheese and an extra drizzle of honey!!
I forgot to do everything except swirling the honey.. Don't be an air head like.. Don't scrimp on the garnish for this as it add to the taste and is not just for garnishing. 
Serve it hot with some off the stove butter garlic naan for a perfect dinner.... 

Ingredients (american measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
For the kofta:
For the gravy/curry:
Whole spices
For garnish:
Instructions:

  1. mix all the ingredients except dry fruits and cherries mentioned under kofta ingredient list except oil in a bowl.
  2. make medium sized balls
  3. now make an indent in the balls, stuff it with the dry fruit mixture.Keep in fridge for 20 mins. 
  4. Fry the koftas in medium hot oil till golden.
  5. keep aside.
  6. remove extra oil from the same pan and keep about 1 or 1.5 tbsp oil.
  7. add all the whole spices and fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
  8. first add the onion paste and brown it.
  9. now add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for some seconds till the raw aroma of the paste goes away.
  10. add the tomato puree and saute for 5-6 minutes.

  1. add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and cashew paste.
  2. stir and saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the masala paste.Approx 5 mins. 
  3.  add water and stir.
  4. simmer till the gravy begins to thicken. takes approx 11-12 minutes on a low flame.
  5. towards the end add crushed kasuri methi and salt.
  6. you can also add sugar if you want a light sweet taste in the curry. simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
  7. add the cream ...fold it in , drizzle the honey and stir... Switch off.
  8. add the koftas in the curry if serving immediately or you can also add the curry first in the serving plate or bowl and then place the koftas.
  9. garnish the malai kofta with some cream, grated paneer and coriander leaves.
  10. serve malai kofta hot with rotis, naan, steamed basmati rice or jeera rice.

  11. Notes:

    !. I shallow fry my koftas, You can deep fry them too.
    2.dry fruits depend on personal taste...increase or decrease acc..
    3. Milk powder is important. do not forget to add that to the koftas.
    4. I add grated carrot to my koftas..u can choose to leave this out .
    5. Fry on low- medium heat please!!
    6. honey can be adjusted as per personal choice.
    7. My gravy is a perfect balance of sweetness yet with heat... You can omit the heat bit if you like it sweet.
    8. If you prefer a white gravy, omit the tomato puree and proceed.. Its equally fabulous... we just happen to like it with the tomato in my family.