Coconut Pachadi (Raita in simple lingo)


I am gonna make this a quick one..
Festive seasons are on in India since the past one month and I have been having a terrific time...a busy,dizzy,crazy time..but a fabulous foodie and family time nonetheless...
Day after day of festivity is fun.yes..but it also means there is too much rich food, too much time consuming cooking and the much dreaded cleaning after!! (Nightmare for me)
Result : You crave something simple before the next humongous festival kicks in..with a bang!!



I made this quick and easy but equally delicious coconut pachadi or raita on one such crazed day.
I was rushing back home from work, dreading a dinner of yet another heavy something curry, wanting to spend more time with my parents who had been visiting me, reminding myself that I have to teach baby D her brush storkes properly..and do the laundry..and sort the clothes back from the cleaners..and take out the trash..and clean out the refrigerator...
Result:Exhaustion. Not just physical. Mental Exhaustion.
Side Effect: Total Loss of appetite.especially on thinking of yet another working day...!!

So I reached home, promptly told my mom about not eating dinner..kissed D and went off ..in search of making something new and light to have...
And then I saw those coconuts my parents had bought me... home grown ..from our coconut garden...almost 20 big juice Kerali coconuts...and some even sweeter Orissa coconuts!!




Yes, Immediately I thought of making something sweet, and I did..( will share soon, promise...PS: those were Ama....zing)!
But for tonight, I needed something quick and as an accompaniment...

SO move over you boondis and mixed kuchumbar...move over my darling sweet pineapple..coz I was about to make a Coconut Pachadi!! Yay!!!

Make this today.
Don't wait to be hassled like me before making this..just make this and feel the calm sink in your soul....


Ingredients:
Freshly Grated Coconut 1 cup
Fresh Curd ( beaten) 2 cups
Ginger chopped fine 1 1/2 tsp
Green chillies chopped fine 2 tsp
Salt acc to taste
Rock salt 1 couple of pinches
Sugar 1/2 tsp

For tempering:
Coconut oil 2 tsp
Mustard seed 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 7-8
Red chillie (broken) 2 or as per taste

Method:
Mix together all the ingredients except those mentioned under tempering. Whisk well.
Take a small tempering pan, heat the oil..once hot, add the mustard seeds and let them crackle, then add the broken red chillie and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds till fragrant and pungent..
Pour immediately over the curd mix and stir..
Serve as is or cold...
Perfect accompaniment to many hot Indian curries.... or simply have with steamed rice!

Love,
A simple, S :)