I love my mom...I am sure you all
must too. and doesn't it feel amazing to cook a dish just like your mom
does..?I know nostalgic cooking is very close to my heart...
This time around tho, I made something my other mum
doles out.. My MIL...
My mom is my mamma, and my MIL is my Mummy...I love both
women..One is gentle, kind beyond words and strong(my mum)...the other is fiesty, fun and strong..my mil
P had been having a hankering for his mom's pulao
for a couple of days, so I decided to surprise him with this fantastic pulao...
after all there is quite nothing like fave dishes from your childhood ..
Make this Peas, Caramelized Onion and Dry Fruit
Pulao for a perfect meal... Served with Dal fry and my "infamous"
Paneer Butter Masala ( found on my blog) , Smoked Brinjal, Mushroom tikkas(
also found on my blog) Dahi Boondi, Salad and the afore-mentioned rasmalai...
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (washed and dried)
2 cups water
1/2 cup Green Peas
1/2 cup assorted dry fruits (use more or less acc
to taste, I use cashews,raisins, almonds and pistachios...the usuals
1/4 cup Onions...Sliced thin
Ghee 2-3 tbsp
Garam Masala or Whole SPices :
Cinnamon stick 1 large
2 Star Anise
Salt as per taste
How to :
1. Clean and make sure the rice is dry before you
begin the cooking
2. In a large Pressure cooker, heat 1/2 tsp ghee.
Once hot, add the dry fruits (one type at a time as each has a different
cooking temp) .. once fried, take it out and keep aside.
3. add 1/2 tsp of ghee again, this time add the
green peas, salt and saute for 3-4 mins till cooked.remove and keep aside.
4. add 1 tsp ghee and saute the sliced onions on a
low flame , add a pinch of salt and a dash of sugar ..cook till it caramelizes
into sweet and tender onions..takes 10 mins..
5. add the remaining ghee, the whole spices, saute
6. add the dried basmati (only, pls) to the spices
and saute till slightly golden and fragrant...It gives off a certain
aroma..Hard to miss. Make sure you keep stirring or it will burn.. do not let
it get too red or brown..
7. Once fried through, add double the rice amount
of water (very very very IMP. OBV. Measure perfectly once u have the dried rice
before adding) ..rule of thumb.. I can usually alter a bit going by the looks
but double the rice generally works for fluffy pulao..
8. The water should cover the rice with a little
more above it.
9. add salt, let it come to a quick boil, then fix
10. Cook for 2 quick whistles. Switch off and leave
it as it is, with the lid on, and pressure on for 30 mins.
11. When ready to serve, add the peas, onion and
12. Fluff the rice and serve hot!!