Jalebis... made easy!



Jalebis... If you grew up in India , you would have had your share of these beauties by large bowlfuls....
Whirls of crispy lil delights, soaked in a saffron infused sugar syrup...served hot ...and with an additional deliciousness of my butterscotch rabdi, it simply took the festivities to another level..

Yes, they aint the easiest to do.
and no, I didnt use any packaged stuff ..I made them from scratch....
Perfected them after 5 tries till I knew I couldnt make it any better... These were simply mind blowingly perfect...



As I served these to my guests over the creamy cold butterscotch Rabdis, all I could hear was the oohs and aahs emanating from my guests ..and the sound of spoons clicking against the bowls as they scrapped up the last spoonful of rabdi...
That is all the proof I needed...
Result: I did a little dance....like Shakira, Beyonce and Deepika were all rolled into me ;)

Very very Happy Diwali to everyone...
Hope you all had a fabulous time like me...
Make this, not just for for your next festival...You can make this as a special treat for just about any special occasion, in laws visiting..or simply coz you want to have something yumm just for your own sake!!

Hope everyone at this fab group had an amazing Diwali too.. I am still recovering from the festivities...



Ingredients: 

For the jalebi batter
:

1 cup plain flour (maida)
1 tsp besan (Bengal gram flour)
1/2 tsp fresh yeast, crumbled
1 tbsp melted ghee
1 tsp sugar
2 to 3 drops of lemon yellow food colouring

For the sugar syrup
2 cups sugar
a few saffron (kesar) strands
1/4 tsp lemon juice

Other ingredients
ghee for deep-frying
Piping bag



Method:
For the jalebi batter
Sieve the plain flour and gram flour together.
Dissolve the yeast in 1 tablespoon of water.
Mix the flour mixture, yeast solution, ghee, sugar and lemon yellow food colouring with 2/3 cup of water to make a thick batter, making sure that no lumps remain.
Keep aside for 10 minutes till the yeast ferments.

For the sugar syrup:
Dissolve the sugar in 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes till the syrup is of 1 string consistency.
Add the saffron and lemon juice and mix.
Remove from the fire and keep aside.

How to proceed:
Heat the ghee in a broad saucepan the ghee (I added oil and some gee together) should be approximately 25 mm. (1") deep.
Fill the jalebi batter into a piping bag with a single hole nozzle
Press out round whirls of the batter into the hot ghee working closely from centre to the outside of the whirl [approximately 50 mm. (2") diameter].
Put a straight line across the whirls so that they stick.
Deep fry the jalebis till golden brown and transfer into the warm sugar syrup.
Drain immediately and serve hot.
Tips:
Do not allow the jalebi batter to overferment.
Fry the jalebis immediately once the batter has rested for 10 minutes.

Love,
a dancing ,
S :P