Croque Madame..Baked Chicken & Egg dish.


Let's take a walk down the French Riviera this morning..why don't we!!
Break toasted in muffin cups..layered with chicken salami,egg, bechamel sauce and cheese..Baked till the egg is perfectly cooked and served with just the slightest sprinkling of mixed herbs!

Its the stuff of dreams...my dreams at least. I absolutely love France..and everything French. I am sure you surmised as much from my blog name..didn't you? There is just something so romantic about the French..I can't really put a finger to it. Maybe it's their gentle, polished yet effective way of doing things...their snobbery towards all things mundane (Hey, that's a good thing! ), the scenic beauty of the country to the ultra-luxe fashion one sees spilling onto the street (Its like living inside the glossy pages of a Vogue magazine!!!)..the way their women can eat all the butter and cream and still remain skinny ( must be the magical french water..( Note to self: Bottle some magique` water next time you are there..Better still, Live in Paris and eat all the cream you want! ) ..their language, almost poetic in its pronunciation..The way Oui`.. Au revoir and Bon Appetit make the most plebian of words in the English dictionary sound oh so exotic..and how Paris (Pari`) is the dream canvas on which I wish to live my life..my favorite chef Marco Pierre White and yes, the food!! 
Aah....the sheer gastronomical delight... I think I can live in a French bakery quite happily for the rest of my life! Imagine having chocolate croissants for breakfast, daily...as a way of life!! 
Now THAT is something I could definitely learn to  live with... ;)
I am not really one to regret...but if there is one thing that I do, then it's not having learnt French when I was young...a mistake I shan't make with babyD!!  French she shall learn...and may be teach me in return :) 
Anyways one of these days I was feeling rather French myself...and decided I have too bored with the usual toad in a hole plebian egg breakkie...I needed more. So much more to make my morning better. And that's when the previous days drool session whacked me on my sleepy little French starved head...and the answer you ask?? 
These deliciously, devilishly good French Croque Madames!! 
Don't fear the fancy shmancy name..its really simple to make, and its fast &  fun too!
Imagine Bread baked in muffin tin, lined with chicken salami (or you could do ham), topped with a runny (or set) egg..top that with some delicious creamy bechamel and some more cheese...
Cut it...and ah yes, perfection!!


The entire credit for this fabulous recipe goes to one of the bloggers I look upto the most..Nagi of the very famous and superbly awesome Recipetineats!! 
What a marvellous recipe from a marvellous blogger, and an even more marvellous gal! 
Thanks for giving me my perfect French moment Nagi, I owe you a Big One. 


RECIPE:

Ingredients:
  • 6 slices of fresh bread
  • 6 eggs
  • some butter to rub on the muffin tin
  • chicken salami slices.
  • Bechamel Sauce: 
  • 1 1/2 tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 tbsp flour 
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/3 cup grated cheese
  • 2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • salt n pepper

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 180c
  • Cut the crusts of the bread, and use a rolling pin to to flatten it.
  • Press the bread into the muffin tins and brust the edges with melted butter.
  • Bechamel Sauce: 
  • Melt butter un a pan, add the flour and stir till a paste forms..add half the milk and whisk till the sauce thicken ,about 1 min.
  • Add the remaining milk,dijon, nutmeg,s&p.
  • Keep whisking because once the milk heats up, it thickens very quickly.
  • Whisk until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
  • Remove from heat and add the cheese in. Stir till mixed properly.

Assembly: 
  • Brush the melted butter around the edges of the toast cups to help them brown nicely.
  • Lay the salami on the better
  • Crack an egg into each cup.
  • Top with bechamel sauce ,and sprinkle with grated cheese.
  • Bake for 12-15 mins for runny eggs and more for firm yolks.
  • Rest for a few mins,then sprinkle with parsley and a grating of nutmeg.
  • Serve immediately!

Labels: , , , , , ,