Perfect summer snack!
Things are getting out of hand at the moment.
I have a pile of laundry waiting to be folded..flower pots that badly need weeding..articles to be submitted...pics from last week's shoot yet to be transferred..couple of recipes to be developed..some marketing agendas that I need to take care of..and lets not forget baby D. Why is it summer vacation?? And when will the summer camp start!!! Pulling my hair out trying to keep her occupied and not get into too much mischief all through the day.
So this is going to be a quick post.
Let's get down to business now, shall we??
If you recall a few weeks back, I posted a rather delicious Savory chicken galette with basil pesto..?? Remember?? Well click on the link and refresh your memory. We had it twice in the same week. It was THAT good!
Now for the veggie version with the tart base.. Yum Yum Yum!
If you are anything like us, you naturally veer towards all things non-vegetarian. Ergo the chicken galette. But then come the Meatless Mondays and Thursday!! I start suffering from veggie dinner woes two days before these meatless days. However, this was so so good that I didn't miss the meat, well almost :P
A perfect summery dish that's light yet filling, with just the hint of heat to ensure that you tumm isn't burning and oh yes, loaded with the goodness of gouda, fresh heirloom tomatoes and grapes!! They really add a burst of sweetness to this otherwise tomato tart and make it much more special.
Now for the base, feel free to do as you want. You can use the basil pesto I used in the galette, leave it as it is or use my Home made Salsa, just like I did. Its brilliant..sets off the tomatoes beautifully and adds a
much needed zing to the otherwise simple tart.
Scatter some chiffonades of fresh basil..a few black olives and you are done!!
Dinner is served in 20 mins.. Thank you.
For the Galette dough:
For the topping :
- 80ml ice cold water
- 45ml buttermilk
- 120g plain flour
- 25g cornmeal [makki ka aata]
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 90g butter, chilled cubed
- Gouda cheese cut grated - 1/2 cup (few chunks)
- Mozarella cheese grated - 1 cup
- Tomato slices - 2 or 3 tomatoes
- Grapes - 1 cup ,halved.
- Black pitted olives - 1/4 cup, sliced thin.
- Home made salsa to spread on the base.
- Mixed herbs - 1 tablespoon
- Red chili flakes - 1/2 teaspoon.
For the Galette Dough:
- Cut the chilled butter into cubes.
- Place the flour, cornmeal and salt in a bowl.
- Add the cubed butter and rub it between your fingers till it resembles breadcrumb.
- Now pour in the buttermilk, followed by most of the chilled water and process until a soft, moist dough forms. Work quickly so that the dough doesn't get warm.
- Remove, divide into 2, press into flat disks, clingfilm it and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Divide each disk into two and roll out to about 10 *7 rectangles. Make sure to flour the counter first.
- Line a shallow platter with the rolled out pastry hanging over the edges, fill it up as you like,
- Spread the Salsa leaving one inch - one and a half inch margin
- Add gouda, mozzarella, grapes, olives and the tomatoes.
- Then gently pinch the edges over the filling around the sides.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, salt, herbs, chili flakes over the filling and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Transfer to a cooling rack, leave for at least 10 minutes, then slide off with a wide spatula.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a scattering of freshly cut grapes, fresh herbs etc.