Egg Curry/ Anda Masala/ Dim er Jhol

“Home wasn't a set house, or a single town on a map. It was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go." 


In times of despair, we reach for familiar things..things that have a propensity to comfort us, to gently woo us out of the depths of hopelessness and make us look at the bright side of things. 
Needless to say for us foodies, cooking has to be one such thing. 
Am I right?? 

How many of you have woken up in the middle of the night unable to sleep, the idea of a wonderful new dessert keeping you up, the dish already forming an image in your mind, even though you are still tossing and turning in your bed??

How many times have you wondered when the morning would come so that you could start that gem of a recipe!!
I have. Quite often. Regrettably.
I know you must have gone through the same. 

Last week we were having some problem in the family. My sister in law was going through a really rough patch and as a result we were all in a very anxious state of mind.
I didn't even feel like entering the kitchen, no one was in the mood to eat anything and we were all distressed at how things were shaping up. But then, people have to eat to live..and in my case, live to eat. Either ways , it was one such morning.

 When I entered the kitchen, my mind was blank. I had decided I would serve some toast and scrambled eggs for breakfast and lunch would have to be at the office cafeteria. But as I opened up the refrigerator and saw the eggs, another memory rose in my mind. 
A memory of happy people around a dining table laden with delicious food..lovingly prepared by my mum. Memory of laughter and quiet smiles..loving glances, whispered confidances at the dining table with my sister..playfully teasing my kid bro..the comfort of reaching into a bowl of familiar curry and fighting over who gets more eggs. 

 {In the childhood memories of every good cook, there's a large kitchen, a warm stove, a simmering pot and a mom.” }


 And just like that, before I even knew it, I had somehow put 4 eggs to boil!!!
Yikes!!!!!
Whatever happened to scrambled eggs you ask?? 
Well, that amazingly comforting memory had quietly but firmly nudged the scrambled eggs out of my perplxed mind. 

Egg curry is such a basic Indian curry. Every household has its own version, much like dal. 
Bengalis call it Dim Jhol , its Anda Masala to the North Indians, and at my Oriya household, we call it Anda Jhola
And the way my mum makes it is absolutely delicious.

In fact the gravy is a staple one and you can use it for many curries. Try adding cauliflower florets to it,or even peas..a basic potato curry and even some bottle gourd, this curry is a life saver. 
It takes all of  30 minutes to make this curry from the scratch, including boiling eggs and potatoes.
And if you like to plan your meals ahead like I do, this can be made in 15 minutes. Just have some hard boiled eggs and boiled potatoes in your fridge to be turned into a deliciously rich and spicy at a moment's notice...or simply when you are craving comfort , and the only thing that will work is a bowl of your mum's egg curry!
"Fragrant with notes of cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, this curry gets its pungent heat from black peppers and has the signature flavour and aroma that comes from roasted dry fenugreek leaves. It's a tomato based gravy, where a ground masala is used as the base, letting the flavours simmer and come together in perfect harmony. The boiled potatoes add much-needed body to the gravy and the fried eggs are simply delicious!"

Serving Suggestions: This is a fairly thick gravy that is perfect with some plain boiled rice, a simple cucumber salad and a mint raita. Occasionally we also like to make it thicker and enjoy it with simple, nutritious and super healthy Rotis

Best served hot off the stove, with lemon for squeezing on top if desired and a generous sprinkling of coriander. 

As we sit down for dinner that day, the fog lifts from my mind and I feel a certain clarity that I hadn't in a week!

“At the end of the day, it isn’t where I came from. Maybe home is somewhere I’m going and never have been before.” 
Love,
S :) 


Time Taken : 30 minutes 
Serves : 2 people (2 egg per person) 

RECIPE :

Ingredients: 


For the ground masala: 


Whole spices: 

Others:


Method:


For the Fried eggs: 




Labels: , , , , , ,